Personal Lines Underwriting Director will have responsibilities to manage a
large team of underwriters and underwriting assistants to meet the goals
of the personal lines organization. This role will have complete oversight of
and responsibility for the growth, profit, retention and business written
by the department. Lines of business include auto, home, dwelling fire and
personal umbrella liability in MA and CT. This position partners closely with
management team on the rate setting and strategic decisions of the
and Knowledge Requirements
· Intimate working knowledge of the Personal Lines
Property and Casualty insurance industry including underwriting practices,
pricing, product, and competitive analysis
· Demonstrated knowledge of underwriting
principles and relevant Massachusetts statutory and regulatory environment is
essential, including the MA residual market mechanism.
· Experience working with PL products in CT or other
· In depth experience developing, leading and managing a
highly qualified underwriting team.
· Ability to develop strong relationships with
independent agents critical
· Superior oral and written communication skills
is a must.
· The ideal candidate will have at least five years of
· Help develop, manage and execute Personal Lines
· Responsible for management of Underwriting Managers
and Team Managers.
· Creates and implements profitable underwriting
strategies in concert with other departments. Manages and administers policies,
procedures and practices to drive profitable growth, produce the highest profit
and lowest loss/expense ratios. Constantly seeks ways to improve business
processes and workflow
· Assists in the preparation of salary and expense
budget, controlling expenses accordingly. Manages and executes daily business
objectives with reference to budget, customer service, production, and business
· Partners with Marketing in the management of agency
force including day to day issues and opportunities to annual planning
activities. Develops extremely close relationship with owned agency.
· Selects, trains and develops an effective high
performing team. Conducts performance appraisals, recommends salary
adjustments, promotions and transfers, etc.
· Partners with Claims on identification of
negative trends and desirability of risks.
· Keeps abreast of regulatory rulings, industry trends
and legal developments which affect underwriting practices.
· Collaborates on the setting of underwriting guidelines
and practices. Authorizes exceptions to underwriting rules and monitors those of
· Measures underwriting effectiveness through monthly
reporting of key metrics and processes.
· Is very collaborative and works well with others
within the business unit and across the organization
· Confers with agents and brokers regarding underwriting
policies and procedures.
Our client offers an excellent
compensation package with a salary range up to $165k annually and a bonus
potential of 30% annually. Our client is offering a relocation package as