Auto Physical Damage Claims Manger
The Auto Physical Damage Claims Manager guides and directs the operations of the Claims Team in conducting the investigation, evaluation and disposition of claims brought against Insureds.
You may support multiple Underwriting Divisions.
Reporting to you are Claims Associates, Claims Examiners and Senior Claims Examiners, each of whom may handle claims within one or more line(s) of business.
You function with autonomy to conduct team meetings, monitor caseloads, extend reserve and settlement authority and authorize referrals.
You provide guidance and direction for all of the following activities:
Analysis of coverage issues and taking appropriate action;
Analysis of the facts and allegations to determine the extent of liability;
Evaluation of causation and damages to determine potential exposure;
Setting appropriate reserves to reflect probable outcome;
Taking appropriate action to move the case toward resolution.
You will use excellent oral and written communication skills to interact with the Claims Team, brokers, claimants, attorneys and policyholders regarding developments in the claim.
You will ensure that all state regulations and internal guidelines are met by the team, and that each member of the Team manages claims and suits in accordance with Claims Best Practices.
Duties and Responsibilities
Continuously exhibit and uphold Core Values of Integrity, Accountability, Communication and Teamwork, Innovation and Customer Service
Supervises claim files handled by direct reports
Performs an initial analysis of coverage, liability and damages on claims assignments
Reviews disclaimers and reservation of rights letters written by direct reports
Negotiates some settlements directly and provides oversight for direct reports, who conduct negotiations, mitigate damages and control expenses
Maintains a high level of communication with leadership
Works within authority limits and makes recommendations if higher authority is needed
Guides and directs the handling of complex high exposure claims and suits
Recognized as the key company claims contact within specialty area
Provides technical guidance, assistance and training as needed for claims staff and other departments
Assists the Directors and VP in managing the Claims Department
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities
• Thorough knowledge of claims, strong leadership skills, recognized ability to manage a team of Claims Professionals
• Excellent written and oral communication skills
• Strong analytical skills
• Strong negotiation skills
• Self motivated, ability to motivate others, ability to delegate authority
• Well organized and possessing proficient computer skills
• Able to work successfully in a team environment
• Able to lead, guide and direct a team and also take direction from Senior Claims Management
• Superior knowledge and skills in a variety of claims specialty areas
• Excellent record of achievements that clearly set the individual apart from others
Experience and Education
• High School Degree required
• Bachelor’s degree, Advanced degree or Law degree preferred but not required
• Seven to ten years of claims handling experience
• Extensive expertise in specific specialty area of claims
• Experience in working with complex coverage issues
• Multi-jurisdictional claims experience
• Adjuster license and/or certifications desired but not required