Chief Underwriting Officer-(CUO)
This client company offers commercial property and casualty products and services through independent agents in Arizona, Arkansas, New Mexico, Oklahoma and Texas.
They maintain a strong local presence in each of the markets, keeping underwriting and support close to the customer.
This client culture is one that empowers employees to question the status quo and seek innovative ways to continue to exceed the expectations of our customers.
They practice collaboration, creativity, and teamwork on a daily basis, with a commitment to innovation and high performance.
The Chief Underwriting Officer (CUO) reports directly to the President and is a key member of the client executive leadership team.
You will be responsible for the strategic planning and overall management of the underwriting discipline to ensure profitable growth.
In collaboration with other departments, you will be responsible for developing and executing Client’s underwriting strategy, with the goal of maximizing shareholder value and risk-adjusted returns.
Key Functions/Duties of Position:
- You will oversee the development and management of all aspects of underwriting strategy, aligning with the overall strategic plan, and translating the strategy into clear underwriting guidelines and limits of authority.
- This includes establishing underwriting authority levels and referral processes that both streamline decision-making and ensure underwriting excellence.
- Develop an efficient set of processes that deliver creative, customized underwriting and risk management solutions while meeting the expectations of our partners.
- Set strategic process for identifying, evaluating and managing emerging risks.
- Develop and manage both internal and external relationships in a way that strengthens trust in the business partnership.
- Manage the portfolio to reflect an appropriate balance between segments and diversification of line of business.
- Devise strategies and protocols to grow profitably during all market cycles.
- Establish policies and direct the analysis of information to support the development of products, services, and/or new programs (i.e., research and identify target businesses, competitor information, analyze industry and economic factors, etc.)
- Lead, direct, and has management accountability for corporate underwriting team with emphasis on building organizational capability, talent management, and promoting a culture of superior portfolio management and product underwriting.
- Development, implementation, and maintenance of authority statements. Drafting of authority for other department managers and any relevant relationships.
- Lead for internal underwriting audit.
- Responsible for underwriting document filings, accuracy of data entries to systems and contract integrity for accounts underwritten.
- Lead the Loss Control Department for Client Company.
- Meet as needed with the Senior Leadership Team and President to analyze, recommend, and report on the progress of objectives.
- Provide the leadership mentoring and guidance necessary to build and sustain a high performing workforce.
- Anticipate and plan for the future, with the capacity to collaborate with other senior management team members in a way that fosters innovation.
- Bachelor’s degree in related field preferred
- Minimum of 10 years underwriting experience including products, property, workers compensation and automobile.
- Demonstrated ability to provide strategic and tactical leadership to a team of talented professionals.
- Demonstrated organizational skills, working with integrity and great strategic foresight - challenging norms while working collaboratively with colleagues at all levels of the organization.
- Strong interpersonal relationship and communication skills, as well as a desire to collaborate, build rapport, add value and effectively problem-solve with their direct support teams and the teams of the company.
- Exhibits a track record for finding innovative ways to bring teams together to problem-solve for greatest efficiency and effectiveness. Supportive and dedicated to solving the strategic and tactical execution needs of each respective company.
- Agile and decisive; can work with an ambiguous, fast-moving environment while also leading to clarity and solutions; adapts quickly and effectively to change.
- Well-versed in presentations, accustomed to addressing agents, vendors, and partners. Ability to influence and persuade through advanced written and verbal communication skills.
- Ability to travel up to 20% of time if necessary.