Director of Reinsurance
General Search & Recruitement
Director of Reinsurance
Kansas City, MO
Responsible for the Reinsurance Department, which includes managing the reinsurance for all lines of life and health business ceded or assumed. The Reinsurance Department, as a Risk Management Control Point, supports all aspects of ceded and assumed risks, including marketing, financial, actuarial, and investment departments. This position oversees the execution of all risk transfer agreements across all life and health lines, and the planning, directing, and implementing of all policies and procedures with respect to the reinsurance program, including financial review of reinsurers, treaty documentation, and communication of treaty requirements throughout the organization. Responsibility also includes presentation of marketing opportunities of both ceded and assumed risks.
- Oversees the Implementation of strategies as it relates to the use of risk transfer and establishes and drives the functional strategies of the Reinsurance Department to support the overall strategic objectives.
- Oversees the execution of risk transfer agreements spanning all lines of business, including those of affiliates, including its affiliated reinsurance captive.
- Participates in the negotiation and development of risk transfer solutions to facilitate growth.
- Oversees the procuring, summarizing, and presenting data and information to reinsurers and assuming insurers.
- Ensure proper controls and governance are in place for reinsurance processes. Partners with external and internal auditors as required.
- Integral management of reinsurer relationships and distributor relationships (+50 relationships)
- Markets risk transfer objections and assesses and communicates marketing and risk transfer opportunities.
- Performs other related duties as required and assigned.
- Exceptional verbal and written communication, interpersonal, problem-solving, analytical, oral presentation, and organizational skills
- Demonstrated ability for effective and responsive dealing with a wide range of reinsurance issues.
- Adept with understanding financial and actuarial issues of ceded and assumed risks.
- Strong management skills.
- Minimum of ten years of direct and assumed risk transfer.
- College degree or educational equivalent
- Must have technical knowledge of insurance company and its reserving and capital requirements
- Must have advanced communication skills both written and oral to traverse multiple audiences including senior leaders (Chief Risk Officer, CFO, Business Presidents).
- Must have advanced knowledge of life, annuity, and health insurance products, underwriting, and pricing.
- Must have highly developed negotiation skills and relationship management skills. Must be proficient in contract interpretation and negotiation in partnership with the office of general counsel.